Thy Chamber Music Festival was founded in 1994 by local music enthusiasts with subsequent financial support coming from
- the county
- local municipalities and firms
- private sponsors
- The National Music Council
and foundations including
- The A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine McKinney Møllers Foundation til almene Formaal
- The Augustinus Foundation
- The BG Foundation
- Birgit and Jørgen Warmings Foundation
- Brødrene Hartmanns Foundation
- The Carl Nielsen and Anne Marie Carl Nielsen Fund
- The National Bank Jubilee Foundation
- The Obel Family Foundation
- The Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik Foundation
- The Erda and Christian Schrøder Foundation
- The Morsø Foundation
- The Færch Foundation
- The Grethe and Jørgen P. Bornerup Foundation
- The Gustav Packalén Memorial Foundation
- The High Court Barrister L. Zeuthen Fund
- The King Frederik and Dronning Ingrid Foundation
- The Knud Højgaard Foundation
- The Oticon Foundation
- The Sonning Foundation
- The Sportsgoods Foundation
- The Toyota Foundation
- The Wilhelm Hansen Foundation
- The Aage and Johanne Louis-Hansens Fond.
In 1996 Thy Masterclass Chamber Music Festival was awarded The UNIBANK (Nordea) Prize for Initiative, and in 1998 The Danish Radio's Bolero Prize for its originality in promoting chamber music.
In recognition of its ever growing importance for the region as a highly acclaimed international cultural event, Thy Chamber Music Festival was awarded Viborg County's Culture Prize in 2005 and Region North Jutland´s in 2010.
Craig Goodman, artistic director, has set words to his impressions over the years as follows:
Twenty two years ago, a unique experience was born in Thy.
I remember, so clearly, coming up to Thy from Paris and discovering the striking landscape of the dunes by the sea, so unlike anything I'd ever seen before.
A moonscape, I thought.
And those trees, lines of trees bent by the westerly winds.
Elegant in their unique way.
And the people. Open and reserved at once. Wise and quiet.
You will probably be surprised to know that Thy is the place in the world where I feel my spirit at home.
And each year, I am honored to be part of the effort to let musical masterpieces, musicians and performance traditions, and the spirit of the land and people up here come together once again.
It is that combination which gives Thy Chamber Music Festival its distinct identity, inimitable and admired.
Let the landscape, and those trees, and we, the stubbornly idealistic people, continue to work together so that music can resonate all its truths here and beyond!